Senior Software Engineer
In a world increasingly impacted by climate change, pollution, and population growth, conventional production of fresh/fruiting vegetables is unsustainable. Compared to field production, greenhouse hydroponic methods use 90% less water, increase yields, reduce food waste, use fewer pesticides, eliminate fertilizer runoff, and allow crops to be grown locally. However, greenhouse producers make up only a small part of today’s market due to high capital/labor costs and operational complexity. To close this gap, Hippo Harvest uses new methods of hydroponics, robotics, and machine intelligence to re-imagine greenhouses and build the sustainable, economical, and scalable production systems of the future.
As a Senior Software Engineer for Hippo Harvest your task is to design, implement, and deploy components of our Greenhouse Operating System and associated tooling to improve the efficiency of crop production.
- Build hybrid cloud systems that allow greenhouses to operate and process crucial data on-premises while performing large-scale analysis in the cloud.
- Improve the operational efficiency of farms, developing smart software for scheduling of crop processes and tracking of labor.
- Select tooling for data processing, software deployments, and continuous integration for cloud, local servers, robots and IOT devices, aligned with DevOps best practices.
- Actively participate in the design, construction, and operation of our state-of-the-art greenhouse facilities and production systems.
- 5+ years of work experience in Computer Science.
- Experience with DevOps best practices and full-stack web development. Tools and frameworks we use regularly include kubernetes, docker, python, react, postgres, and airflow so familiarity with a subset of these is a plus.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team, collaborate effectively with fellow scientists and engineers, and set an example of engineering excellence for the team.