Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.\n
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
In this role you’ll join a diverse group of subject matter experts in the Failure Analysis and Materials Engineering team and bring your own expertise in the domain of electrical testing and failure analysis. You will make an impact across every Rivian product line by joining our state-of-the-art laboratory and by generating insight through failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level. You will assist the FAME lab engineers and scientists in their investigations by operating laboratory equipment, generating and collating data, and writing and presenting technical reports to cross-functional teams.
- Assist FAME engineers and external engineering teams with deep dive and rapid response triage failure analysis investigations across platforms including low voltage and high voltage electrical systems, energy storage systems, and drive units. \n
- Operate a variety of laboratory equipment including, but not limited to (prior hands-on experience highly desired, but training will be provided as needed):
- Macro photography; \n
- Optical microscopy; \n
- 2D X-ray and CT scanning; \n
- Basic electrical measurement tools such as digital multimeters, oscilloscopes, signal generators, LCR meters, etc.; \n
- Sample x-sectioning equipment (section, grind, polish, and etch); \n
- Basic machine shop tools such as band saw, drill press, lathe, milling machine, etc. \n
- Scanning electron microscopy and energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM/EDS); \n
- Perform circuit level troubleshooting including pin-to-pin continuity and curve trace. \n
- Oversee lab equipment maintenance, service, and calibration to ensure maximum uptime and operability of the equipment. \n
- Produce clear and concise reports to summarize data collected and be able to clearly present this to appropriate stakeholders. \n
• B.S. in electrical engineering OR relevant degree and 5+ years hands-on experience supporting electrical failure analysis activities.
• Strong demonstratable experience with electrical testing and associated equipment including power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes, etc.
• Proficiency with interpreting electrical schematics.
• Strong academic background and/or experience in the testing and analysis of hardware components including EE components, printed circuit board assemblies (PCBAs), energy storage sub-systems, power converters, motors, and batteries.
• Highly organized and detail oriented in documentation and reporting. Familiar with implementing 5S principles.
• Work effectively both independently and in a collaborative environment. Willing to maintain relationships with external engineering partners.
• Able and willing to manage multiple competing priorities.
• Desire to promote a culture of health and safety in the laboratory.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.\n
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.\n
Candidate Data Privacy\n
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.\n
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.\n
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.\n
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.