Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.\n
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Senior Cost Engineer, Cost Engineering will play a pivotal role in the Rivian Cost Engineering organization. The role will be responsible for completion of cost models that accurately analyze the costs associated with components across Rivian vehicles. Your expertise in cost estimation will be crucial in guiding our design and procurement, ensuring competitiveness in the market, and maintaining our commitment to providing high-quality products.
• Provide guidance to the design requirements or design engineer for proposed new or modified designs to achieve required function at minimum or target cost.
• Develop should cost models and projections for multiple vehicle commodities specialized in electrical content (electric motors, lighting, wiring, displays, PCBA, or semiconductor fabrication). Utilize information ranging from written assumptions, sample parts, CAD models and engineering drawings.
• Gather details and compile data to estimate all production costs considering raw materials, labor, and tooling for estimations or should cost models.
• Interface with manufacturing plants and suppliers to ensure most economical tooling, processing and operations that will contribute to profitable production.
• Support Rivian Procurement in analysis and review of supplier cost breakdowns to drive cost reduction opportunities through negotiations with suppliers.
• Mentor Rivian Procurement team members based on manufacturing and process cost expertise.
• Support competitive vehicle benchmarking to provide input for future model development and target costs.
• Perform Value Analysis / Value Engineering (VAVE) activities to generate cost reduction ideas through identification of process and product efficiencies that will reduce overall costs. Work with all stakeholders to support cost reduction targets.
• Assume ownership of projects; plan milestones and identify potential risks to ensure timely delivery of cost models within agreed completion dates.
• Proactively manage task completion and regularly update cross-functional teams on project status, timing, resource allocation, challenges, and the likelihood of on-time, high-quality delivery.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Supply Chain, Business Administration, or Finance.
• Minimum of 5+ years of related experience at an OEM, Tier 1 Manufacturer, Contract Manufacture, Consumer Electronics, or similar.
• Proven experience in manufacturing process required for cost model development lighting components, electrical motors, electrical harnesses, connectors, displays, PCBA based electrical components or semiconductor fabrication.
• Proficiency in navigating CAD models in CATIA or similar software.
• Ability to interpret and understand design and manufacturing drawings.
• Practical knowledge of Value Analysis / Value Engineering (VAVE) techniques and a strong understanding of financial principles.
• Capability to independently create a Bill of Materials (BoM) for a given commodity or design and allocate costs.
• Entrepreneurial, ambitious, independent, detail-oriented, structured thinker, goal-oriented, flexible, and resilient—exhibiting qualities of a start-up personality.
• Collaborative team member, ensuring effective communication among colleagues, and providing regular contributions to meetings and briefings.
• Proficiency in strategic thinking and possessing detail-oriented work habits.
• Master’s degree (or higher) in Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Engineering Management or similar
• Solid knowledge of vehicle parts and subsystems and knowledge of part interaction.
• Proficiency in CATIA, or similar CAD based design programs.
• Proficiency in aPriori or similar digital cost modeling tools
Salary Range for Palo Alto, CA based applicants: $147,000 - $169,000 annually (Actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location and other factors permitted by law).\n
Salary Range for Irvine, CA based applicants: $135,000 - $155,000 annually (Actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location and other factors permitted by law).\n
Benefits Summary: Rivian provides robust medical/Rx, dental and vision insurance packages for full-time employees, their spouse or domestic partner, and children up to age 26. Coverage is effective on the first day of employment, and Rivian covers most of the premiums.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.\n
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.\n
Candidate Data Privacy\n
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.\n
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.\n
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.\n
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.