Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.\n
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Reliability is core to the success of Rivian’s Electric Adventure Vehicles. As a Staff Engineer in the Field Forensics Rapid Response Team, you will be expected to assist, and in some instances be the lead forensic investigator for major incidents in support of the legal department - product defense team.
- You will play a key role in generating insight through conducting failure analysis investigations both in the field and the laboratory environment. You will investigate incidents from the multivehicle scale to single component level.
- Conceptualize, plan, and execute on vehicle and accident scene investigations throughout the U.S., Canada, and Europe, and prepare reports to team members and counsel. \n
- Lead the creation of failure analysis reports with exceptional visualizations and present them to working group teams. \n
- Potentially represent Rivian at trials, mediations, depositions, and court or Alternative Dispute Resolution conferences. \n
- When not investigating field incidents, this person will work in the Tustin FA lab, and perform deep dive failure analysis investigations using a wide range of scientific expertise and laboratory techniques to tackle the most challenging issues. \n
- The Staff Engineer will work with the team to help create process, procedures, and tools to streamline and grow the incident response process. \n
- Collaborate and develop partnerships with engineering teams both within the incident response team, and around Rivian (e.g. materials development, battery cell engineering, powertrain, chassis, etc.) to help define their needs for failure analysis support in the field, lab, or production line. Maintain a constant dialogue on the existing and growing capabilities of failure analysis lab and corrosion prevention support. \n
- The Staff Field Forensics Engineer will report to the Senior Manager for the Rapid Response team. \n
- Minimum Bachelors in Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, or Physics. Masters or PhD preferred. Bachelors and 3+, Masters/PhD and 1+ years of hands on root cause failure analysis experience. \n
- Must be able to effectively present and communicate highly complex technical information in a manner appropriate to a variety of audiences, from CEO and general counsel through individual contributors. \n
- Familiarity with laboratory-based materials characterization techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, EDS, hardness testing, environmental tensile testing, sample X-sectioning & etching, and fractography is preferred. \n
- Experience with field-based materials characterization, including fractography, hardness testing, PMI, dye penetration & magnetic particle testing, microstructure replication, is a plus. Training will be provided for any areas that the candidate does not have experience. \n
- Experience working with a wide range of structural and functional engineering materials including metals, polymers, composites, adhesives, fluids, glass, and ceramics. \n
- Thorough understanding of mechanics of materials concepts and metallurgical first principles. \n
- Experience leading a variety of failure analysis projects, both at a system and a component level; be able to define the root cause of the failure and drive the corrective actions necessary to mitigate the risk of future failures. \n
- An interest in automation script creation or embedded system programming using Python, Perl, C-family, or VBA is a big plus. \n
- Experience in the automotive industry, and familiarity with vehicle systems and materials challenges in the automotive industry. \n
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must! \n
Salary Range for Irvine Based Applicants: $150,000 - 173,000 (actual compensation will be determined based on experience, location, and other factors permitted by law)
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.\n
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.\n
Candidate Data Privacy\n
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.\n
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.\n
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.\n
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.